Monday, June 9, 2008

6/9/08





Today I packed up early and headed for Fairbanks. It was raining slightly, of course, so my time didn’t work out quite like I wanted it to. I ended up in Cantwell about 485 miles from Homer.

After I passed Anchorage, I started to climb up towards the Denali. The skies started to clear and I actually got a shot of the mountain. I understand this only happens 50-60 days a year so I felt blessed. What a beautiful place but everywhere along the way was mobbed with travelers. I thought of staying the night in Tallkeetna and maybe catching a charter flight over the Denali but was informed that the wait would be about 3 weeks so I kept on going. Finally, by Cantwell, the crowds had thinned so I could pitch my tent and a nice quiet evening. All was well until about 10:30 when a group of about 70 bike travellers came into the campsite and partied hardily until about 2am. Oh well, it was nice for a while.

Tomorrow, I’m heading for the Arctic circle.

No comments: